Saturday 5 April 2008

The Rookery

I sometimes see rookeries as I'm driving my car, but they always seem to be someplace where I can't stop, or if I can stop, I don't have my camera. Today everything fell together. I spotted a good rookery, I had my camera with me, and there was a laybye quite close where I could park the car.

I'm fascinated by the fact that rooks make their nests close to each other, and return to them year after year. It looks quite amazing when all the trees are bare, to see these nests with the rooks flying back and forth and grouping together.

5 comments:

Shammickite said...

Ahhh that makes me feel quite at home! We Rooks like to enjoy each other's company, y'know! But we tend to be a bit noisy when everyone's at home at the same time. Great pictures. Thanks for the reminder on my blog.

Betty said...

Dabrah, what is a Rook? I am sure it is some kind of bird, as we have a card game in the South of the USA called "ROOK". It is a fun game.

Donna said...

Safty in numbers...how beautiful! Hope your weekend has been a happy one so far!!!hughugs

dabrah said...

A rook is a bird. They tend to build their nests in colonies, high in the tops of trees, and return year after year to the same ones.

Rosie said...

What beautiful photo's of the rookery! I hope with this cold snap they will be aok!

Rosie x