Thursday 13 December 2007

Gordon Ramsay (and Chris Evans again)

I just got back from a shopping trip to Milton Keynes. After I'd finished buying what I needed, I headed back to the car park. On my way I passed a queue outside WHSmiths which snaked all the way back and across the walkway. By any standards, it was a long line. I asked someone in the line what was going on, and they said that Gordon Ramsay was inside signing his new book. So of course I had to go in and see for myself.

There was a cordoned off area with two bodyguards in suits at each end of it, and at the back of the area was a table at which Gordon Ramsay was signing his book. Much to my surprise the bodyguards were very friendly and showed me a good place to take photos from. So here it is:

He has got his own website, and you can find it here.

On my way home I caught Chris Evans' show again, and once again he did the 'How deep is, how deep is your snow, I really wanna know.....' segment, and spoke to someone in Dubai who runs an indoor 400 metre ski slope. Someone had to drill into the snow, and then measure it, and it came out at "45 centimetres of good snow". Their website is here.

Interestingly, on the top right hand corner of their opening web page, there is an ad for skiing in Lebanon. The thing about skiing in Dubai is the contrast between the extreme heat of the desert and the coldness of the ski dome. In Lebanon, nature provides this contrast for free. I can remember, in my youth, snow skiing in the mountains of Lebanon in the morning, and water skiing in Beirut in the afternoon, all on the same day! I do not exaggerate.

I would also like to point out that There Is A Ski Slope In Milton Keynes (with real snow), but this will be covered in another entry.

4 comments:

James Higham said...

In Lebanon, nature provides this contrast for free. I can remember, in my youth, snow skiing in the mountains of Lebanon in the morning, and water skiing in Beirut in the afternoon, all on the same day! I do not exaggerate.

Not too many can say that.

Liz Hinds said...

That's amazing, the snow and water skiing thing!

I saw pictures of a ski slope built somewhere in the Middle east. It was huge and hideously expensive. It can't be as good as the real thing though.

Nice to meet you. Thanks for dropping into my blog.

Anne Lyken-Garner said...

Hi Debrah, I love Chris Evans, I listen to him quite a lot. I can't say the same for the other bloke however, I think that he behaves like a spoilt brad who expects to shout, spit, swear and stamp their foot to get everything they want, instantly.

I've been able to click on your headings and get to the posts. It was definitely something here at my end.

How do you do that cool thing (for me it is anyway, as I can't do it yet) where you put a link into your post and say something like 'click here' which is highlighted to allow access to that particular link?

As you can see, I'm not computer savvy at all.

dabrah said...

Bretwalda and Liz: It was quite amazing to be able to do that.

Anne: I agree about Chris Evans, he just seems to be so nice. As for the 'cool thing' I emailed you to tell you how to do that. Hope you managed it okay.