Thursday 27 December 2007

BBC Breakfast's Essential Guide for the Sales

I was pretty shocked this morning by the BBC Breakfast program's Essential Guide for the Sales segment. Hannah Sandling, a Fashion Stylist, was shown pushing and shoving past people on an escalator, closely followed by her interviewer, in an example of really rude and loutish behaviour. Hannah Sandling then went on to explain that in the rush to get that essential bargain it was a "dog eat dog situation, if you want something you have got to fight for it."

She then continued by elbowing the air to the side of her while she told her audience that they should be prepared to kick if necessary. This particular bit has now been removed, no doubt as a result of a flood of complaints (including mine), but the part in my first paragraph is still showing at intervals, and I do think it's irresponsible, rude and dangerous.

What sort of example is it setting for impressionable children who may be watching the show? And what sort of image is it giving the world of Britain and the British? Can't we expect the BBC, at the very least, to promote socially acceptable behaviour?

4 comments:

Karen H. said...

Good Morning Dabrah,
Wow, some people will do just about anything won't they? I just don't understand why people have to be so rude these days. They have to know that people and kids are watching them. Grown-ups should especially try to be setting a good example. I love the cake in your previous post. It is beautiful. It looks really good takin in the black and white style. Makes it look more authentic. Thanks for sharing it with us. Take care my friend and have a great Thursday. May God Bless You and Yours.

Hugs,
Karen H.

Donna said...

Love the pictures of Hooli!!!

Shammickite said...

OH I wish I could see the show you are talking about.

PJ said...

I am sooooo with you on acceptable behavior. My pet peeve is people who won't take turns. (In my Dec 26 blog) Encouraging rude behavior on TV is just too much.

First time visitor. Maybe I'll see you over on bits and pieces!!