Tuesday 19 February 2008

China Cycling Challenge


My daughter Christina and her friend Alison are going to cycle across China at the end of September in aid of Charity. The charity that they're doing the cycle ride for is Macmillan, whose nurses come to the houses of people who have cancer, and help to look after them. They also provide other types of support to cancer sufferers and their families. Here's a link to the Macmillan website, where you can find more information about what they do.


The distance the girls will be cycling will total 680 kms, or 422 miles, and they've called themselves Blondes on Bikes. Both are cycling to work and back every day as part of their training, so should certainly be up to the challenge by the end of September.


Their web page for the challenge is http://www.justgiving.com/blondesonbikes, if you'd like to have a look. They've set themselves a huge target, so any donations will be more than welcome.


What a pair of champs they are!

7 comments:

Karen H. said...

Good Afternoon Dabrah,
Wow, that is a great thing that your daughter and her friend are going to do. I wish them much LUCK on their biking in September. I have had several Family members die from cancer as well, so I think anyone that is doing something for cancer is a hero. "THANK YOU" to your daughter and her friend for doing this for such a great Charity. I can't afford to donate anything right now, but maybe before their journey begins, I may be able to donate a little something. We are still trying to get caught up. I thought we were about caught up and then we've had a couple of backsets. But we will get thru it. It will just take us a little longer than we had planned on. Take care my friend and have a great evening. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

Sally said...

Wow, good for your daughter and her friend. I certainly wish them well, and like Karen hope to be able to contribute a little something for the cause.

There was a marathon here this past weekend for breast cancer research; over 7,000 either ran or walked. I admire anyone who does what they can for others.

Betty said...

Your daughter is getting ready for a long journey on a bike, which is for a good cause. You must be very proud of her.

Donna said...

How wonderful...am going over to take a look!! Have a great day sweetie!

Monique said...

What a commendable thing to do. I would be dreadfully worried though if this was my daughter. But I'm sure that they will be alright and I'm sure also that many people will follow their ride closely. Congratulate them from me.

dabrah said...

Thanks all of you for your kind words. I would be worrying more about Christina going, except that she's with a friend that she went to school with, and they're with a group that's being organized by a well established charity. I believe they'll be well looked after.

Monique said...

I am relieved to hear that Dabrah, you read so many awful things in the papers. I wouldn't be worried knowing she is with a group of people.